Just because you gave up meat does not mean you have to give up eating barbecue pizza. With this recipe, you can make a tasty barbecue tofu pizza that will stop your barbecue pizza cravings.
The first thing you need for your barbecue pizza is some great tofu. Tofu takes on the flavors which you expose it to, which is why it is so important to prepare it correctly. This crispy salt and pepper tofu will be perfect on your pizza. It will take you about a half hour to prepare the tofu. You can use the extra in other recipes.
- 1 block extra-firm tofu
- 1/3 cup canola oil
- 1/4 teaspoon fresh black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/4 cup corn starch
- Remove the excess moisture from the tofu. The best way to do that is by placing paper towels under and on top of the tofu. You may even want to apply a little extra pressure by placing a plate on top to help squeeze the water out.
- Once you have removed the excess moisture from the tofu, cut the tofu up into small rectangles that are only a couple of inches.
- Drizzle the canola oil in a skillet. Place the skillet on the stove, and set the burner to medium-high to warm up the oil and the skillet.
- In a separate bowl, mix together the corn starch, pepper and salt.
- Take the tofu, and coat it with the mixture you just made. Then place the tofu in skillet.
- You will want to cook the tofu in the skillet for about ten minutes. Be sure to turn the tofu and brown all the sides.
- When the tofu is evenly browned, place it on a plate with paper towels. Use the paper towels to get rid of any extra oil that is on the tofu.
Once you have the tofu ready, you can move on to preparing the rest of the pizza. It will take you about fifteen minute to prepare the pizza, and about ten minutes for it to bake.
- 1 package pre-made pizza dough
- 1 cup barbecue sauce
- 1/2 red onion
- 1 cup salt and pepper tofu
- 1 cup mozzarella cheese
- fresh cilantro
- Set your oven to 400 degrees.
- Flour your cutting board and roll out the pre-made pizza dough into a circle.
- Dust your cookie tray or pizza baking stone with cornstarch and move the pizza dough.
- Take about 1/2 the barbecue sauce and spread it over the pizza crust. Stop about 1/2 an inch from the edge of the pizza in order to leave room for the crust.
- Take the tofu, place it in a bowl, and toss the rest of the barbecue sauce over the tofu. Then place the tofu on the pizza dough.
- Slice up half of a red onion. Then, evenly spread the red onions around the tofu.
- Sprinkle the shredded mozzarella on top of the tofu and onions.
- Then, you are ready to bake the pizza. It should only take about ten minutes for the cheese to melt and for the crust to turn golden brown.
- When you take it pizza out of the oven, dust with a little bit of sea salt and some fresh cilantro.
For the best taste, use your favorite barbecue sauce for the pizza. That way, you will get just the taste that you are craving! To learn more, contact a company such as South Lanes Pizza with any questions or concerns you have.